• May 9, 2016 at 10:43 AM #1135
    Profile photo of Mike JamesMike James
    Participant

Hi, do you have any recommendations for sunscreen?
    I spend a lot of time outdoors and at the beach in Summer so need some type of cream to apply.

• May 11, 2016 at 4:49 AM #1137
    Profile photo of MattMatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately I’ve never really found a good solution or answer for the sunscreen problem. I’ve tried most of them and sunscreens would almost always irritate my skin. The active sunscreen ingredients seem to bother many people with skin conditions or sensitive skin. So I always try to stay away from them, but if I go out in the sun I sort of “deal with it” and use sunscreen anyway.

That said, here’s my personal experience with sunscreens:

1.) Moisturizers with sunscreens: These have always been the worst for me personally. I’ve tried various ones like Cetaphil face moisturizer with SPF 15 and Neutrogena face moisturizer with SPF in it to name two popular ones. They both stung my skin and cause redness and irritation. So whenever I saw sunscreen in a moisturizer over the years, I stayed away like the plague.

2.) Typical Sunscreens: I’ve had less problems with standard sunscreens than with moisturizers that contain sunscreen. The two sunscreens that I usually use are Banana Boat Sport SPF 15 (and SPF 30 too), and I also use the spray-on Banana Boat sunscreen. I was a little hesitant to spray my face with the spray-on version at first, but it was fine. For a while I preferred the spray, and these days I actually prefer the cream. They are definitely not natural ingredients, but neither of them give me too much of a problem. I’ve noticed that if there if I’d ever have a flare-up or sunburn, then any product containing a sunscreen of some sort would sting quite a lot. They can be very irritating, especially if applied later in the day after being in the sun for a while or upon second application.

I know there are some more natural sunscreens out there that are supposed to be good for sensitive skin. But I have to admit I haven’t tried many of them or found one that works well. If anyone has any recommendations I’d definitely like to hear them.

• May 11, 2016 at 9:32 AM #1138
    Profile photo of Mike JamesMike

Hi Matt,
    thanks for the quick reply!
    Normally I use Delial factor 50 (pale skin in Spain…) because it’s not as sticky as a couple of ‘organic’ products I tried. I’m trying out the salt cleansing after a big outbreak but sunscreen just seems like it would undermine the whole process of getting rid of the oils and chemicals. Thanks for the info, it was a refreshing alternative to being prescribed the same stuff by dermatologists in three different countries!

• January 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM #1433
    Peg

I use Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen SPF 50. I’m allergic to chemical sunscreens and it took me years to find one that doesn’t irritate my skin, protects well, and doesn’t leave a white cast. This sunscreen is very smooth, goes on well, and only contains the physical sunscreen zinc oxide.

I’ve been using this on my face for more than two years and it works like a dream. You can find it at various online beauty stores. I buy it from Lovely Skin. Here’s the link in case you want to try it out.
    http://www.lovelyskin.com/o/replenix-sheer-sunscreen-cream-spf-50

By the way, it’s expensive, so I only use it on my face. Generally, I try to cover up and stay out of the sun, but when I’m wearing shorts or going swimming, I use the less expensive Replenix Sheer Physical (spray-on) sunscreen on my body. Make sure to use two coats like the directions say. You can find it here:
    http://www.lovelyskin.com/o/replenix-sheer-physical-sunscreen-spf-50

Good luck!

• January 31, 2017 at 8:23 AM #1434
    Profile photo of Mike JamesMike James
    Participant

Thanks Peg!
    I’m in Spain and Amazon.es lists it for over €100- but I might be able to find it at other sites.

Reply To: Sunscreen
Your information: