• November 12, 2015 at 7:39 AM #290
    Profile photo of Matt (Admin)Anonymous

Questions, answers, and experiences with facial seborrheic dermatitis.

• February 9, 2016 at 3:23 AM #773
    Alex

Hi Matt,

I have had what I think is SD for about 6 months now….
    I have always sported a pretty full beard but unfortunately that is where I have been effected.
    I am now unable to grow a beard without producing way more flakes than I am comfortable with in public. I need my damn beard back.
    Honestly, I just want to know if I will ever be able to get it back.
    If I shave it seems to clear up but with my stubble coming in (12 hours) and me rubbing my cheeks I can tell it’s going to flake if I don’t shave again. So for 6 months I have shaved, regularly.
    If I use sea salt/water method and it seems to be working out as I continue the shave routine, great. How about if I stop shaving and keep washing my face/beard in sea salt water? Have you seen a case like this? Are beards do-able using your methods without necessarily finding the “C”?

Your work is obviously greatly appreciated by many as well as myself. Thank you!!

• February 25, 2016 at 12:35 AM #804

As someone who grows out a beard (or scruff actually) quite often, I can tell you that beards can be more problematic with seborrheic dermatitis. Shaving definitely seems to help when treating seb derm. I think most of this comes from the fact that a beard or facial hair environment is more advantageous for yeast to thrive. Also it is easier to keep the skin clean when it is shaved (especially exfoliation of flakes), and there is less oil build up from the natural oils in hair.

The best solution is really shaving from time to time, and making sure that you are really washing/soaking your skin thoroughly when having a beard.

• February 13, 2016 at 12:03 PM #775
    Alex W

I have had facial SD for 25 years or so.

I have tried many lotions and potions from Doctors and elsewhere.

Never got rid of the problem with any of these.

I have had phases where its been better than other times but always there.

I searched the internet last week found Matts writing on the subject. Very detailed and helpful.

I have been using Dead Sea Salt twice a day in purified i.e. boiled and filtered water twice a day.

I put 2 handfuls of the mineral salt in warm (not hot) water and gently wash my whole face with more emphasis on my forehead and nose and area between my cheeks and eyes as this is where I have SD.

I SAY HAVE BUT AFTER 3 DAYS ITS HAD BECAUSE ITS HEALED UP. Delighted of course what a relief.

I will do this everyday to keep it away. Many many thanks Matt for taking the time to share this miracle cure with the rest of us. I will be educating my Doctor next time I see her.

Thanks again

Alex

• February 23, 2016 at 2:07 AM #798
    Martha P

Am fairly new to this condition and not enjoying it! The sea salt treatments do seem to be helping and I feel I’m on the right track, but have not read how anyone is addressing the flaking on their face. Exfoliation – how often and how?
    Thanks so much for all the great information and for all you are doing!

• February 25, 2016 at 12:26 AM #803

Hi Martha,

Everyone’s skin really differs, including their climate and environment. So I don’t think there’s a one size fits all regimen. However, there are some tips and guidelines I would suggest that are somewhat universal. When exfoliating it’s best to do this in the evenings before going to bed. This way you’re skin has a chance to recover overnight which should help with any redness or irritation from exfoliation. It’s also important to be very gentle and make sure you have soaked the area well to loosen and dry/dead skin. Stay away from harsh ingredients or rough exfoliating pads that could potentially cause further irritation to the skin. I only use my fingers which happen to work well for exfoliating dry skin once the area has been soaked well.

If would do this each evening, and in the mornings only a gentle washing if necessary. See how your skin is reacting, and either increase or decrease the regimen depending on your skin’s status. Just keep in mind that you want to remove dry/dead skin, but not overly strip your skin and damage your skins protective barrier. So keeping a balance is important.

• March 15, 2016 at 9:17 AM #835
    Profile photo of MarkMark

Hi Matt, great website, can I ask what you use to exfoliate, and when you shave, what to do you use for shaving foam ?
    Thanks, Mark

• April 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM #869
    Alex W

Hi Matt

Using the salt and water has made my skin feel smoother and look better. However it is still reddish in the effected areas.

I am using Aveemo . Am I right in thinking that the yeast infection will be spread around the face by using creams. A doctor once told me this?

My rash has spread since using the Aveemo, but t helps as a moisturiser. Any suggestions.

• April 1, 2016 at 8:50 PM #870
    Profile photo of MattMatt
    Keymaster

Hey Alex,

Well, I think the answer is yes and no regarding moisturizers spreading a yeast/microbio growth around. It would depend on the ingredients found in the moisturizer and the degree to which microbio growth can be supported by the ingredient/medium. Simply put, there are some ingredients found in moisturizers that can provide stronger “pro yeast” growth environments than others. Oil is one of the worst offenders in my experience, and tends to be the primary delivery agent for a lot of moisturizers on the market. For those not aware, the delivery agent is what allows your skin to absorb the moisturizer for the most part. You especially find this in “all natural” moisturizers. You’ll also notice that “all natural” skin care companies love to add numerous oils into a single moisturizer. They do this for fragrance, delivery agent, and so they can promote the various health benefits of those oils in their product marketing. I don’t have exact numbers but I’d guess at least 95-98% of “all natural” moisturizers use some kind of oil as their delivery agent. So I usually stay away from them like the plague. I don’t want to lather my face with a big soup of different oils.

Anyway, there are also other ingredients that can be promote yeast/microbio growth as well. You can usually tell through experience if a product leaves the face with a “greasy” feel. You want to avoid that. However, also understand that “dewy” doesn’t exactly equal “greasy”. Hard to explain that but you just have to go by how it feels and begin to realize the differences when your skin has a moisturized “dewy” look and feel vs. a greasy one.

I plan to do some research in the near future on common ingredients and how good/bad they are for microbial/yeast growth. I think it would be valuable for people and will help with wasted “experiments”. For now, I can just say that I’ve tried almost every moisturizer you can find on a shelf and there are two that I personally like for very different reasons.

1.) The first is obviously Aveeno. I mainly recommend Aveeno moisturizer due to the oatmeal base, minimal ingredients list (only 9 ingredients, and one of them is water), matte finish, and moisture locking ability. It’s quite soothing, and I find it to be the least likely of all moisturizers to cause any kind of reaction from ingredients. It is also be the least likely I have found to support microbial, bacterial, yeast or fungal growth.

2.) The other moisturizer I like is Aveda All-Sensitive Moisturizer. However, I have a love/hate opinion recommending it. What I love: it’s incredibly light weight with an “airy” feel (haven’t experienced any other moisturizers with quite the same feeling), it does an excellent job moisturizing the skin even though it’s so light, people with combination skin tend to love it in reviews, they use high quality ingredients, and it’s ingredients are primarily all natural (97% I believe) and plant based. What I don’t like: It does have some olive oil extracts in it, the plant based ingredients could potentially cause reactions for those with environmental allergies, it uses a lavender extract which could be a skin irritant, and it’s expensive at $34. The reason I don’t mind recommending it is because I think it’s unique compared to most moisturizers out there. It’s one of those products that IF it works for you and your skin has no reactions, it’s a great product and something you might fall in love with. So I think it’s worth trying. Considering the price, I would see if you could sample it first. They have a generous return policy, so you could also test it out and return if you don’t like it. You can get it at an Aveda store or order it online.

Regarding any persistent redness you have, there is always a possibility that you have a sensitivity to an ingredient in Aveeno moisturizer. It’s not likely for most people, but it could happen. It’s also possible (and quite likely) that there’s an internal problem causing your seborrheic dermatitis acting almost like a pot of water boiling over. I know for myself, if I ever have an internal infection or inflammation in my body, my seborrheic dermatitis will kick into high gear. When that’s the case, the sea salt/Aveeno regimen is simply doing a better job than any other regimen at keeping my skin looking as best it can. There’s a lot of possible reasons and it’s really hard for me to help pinpoint potential reasons unless I talk to someone about it and understand the full picture. But hopefully this helps a bit.

Reply To: Facial Seborrheic Dermatitis
Your information: