• May 1, 2016 at 9:29 AM #1133
    Adi

Hi
    thank you very much Matt for your article.
    My daughter 12-year-old has seborrhea behind the ears and some scalp near the ear.
    We started to wash face with salt and see little change. There is still dry hard and sometimes itching skin.
    We live in Israel and don’t have AVEENO. If it’s great we can order by shipping.
    Do You know about another good cream?
    What should we look for in a cream? We have all kinds of creams also of the Dead Sea.
    I saw the towel that was recommended here to remove makeup. What do you think about it?
    Thank you very much!!!
    Adi

• May 11, 2016 at 4:29 AM #1136
    Profile photo of MattMatt
    Keymaster

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear the story with your daughter. If your daughter has seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp and behind the ears (I used to get that behind the ears), you may want to look at simply switching shampoos. Have you tried using shampoos that don’t contain common irritants like SLS, parabens, and chemical fragrances?

I find seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp and behind the ears to be a bit different than facial seborrheic dermatitis. Depending on the severity there’s usually more flexibility with products used in my experience. For behind the ears it’s usually a yeast build up and keeping the area clean with regular washing works well.

If the seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp or behind the ears is crusty in appearance; has almost a scab like appearance, I think dandruff shampoos that contain pyrithione zinc can be quite effective. I had the same problem as a child and using a dandruff shampoo twice a day worked to get rid of it. Each time I would wash, I would actually shampoo the area twice. However, before shampooing, it’s best to soak the scalp and effected area for a little while before hand to soften up any scales/crust. That will allow you to more easily rub away (gently) the dry scales with minimal irritation. If the dandruff shampoo is effective and the seborrheic dermatitis is under control, I would then try switching to a natural shampoo and see if that will be a long term solution.

If the scalp or ears don’t have a scaly appearance and are more red and flaky, I would try a natural shampoo first. There’s a lot of people I know, including some commenting on this website, who have cleared up their dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp by simply switching to a natural shampoo. So it could very well be a simply solution for your daughter.

As far as moisturizers go, that’s hard to answer. I’ve put quite a lot of thought into moisturizers over the years and it’s difficult to find one that would for sure work for everyone. I think the soothing nature and minimal ingredients list in Aveeno is one of the best. However, there are other moisturizers that may also be effective for some but not others. One of the things I personally consider with moisturizers is the environment and climate I live in. Not many people realize this, but there are really two different kinds of moisturizers regarding their functionality. Moisturizers work by either locking in moisture and creating a sort of barrier, or they draw in moisture from the outside. Both kinds usually have various ingredients in them that will also have moisturizing effects. With that said, I think the environment and climate a person lives in should be considered. If someone lives in a place like Los Angeles that has very poor air quality and is a very arid climate, then I’d want something that locks moisture in and creates a barrier vs. drawing moisture in from and arid and polluted air. If I’m living in a more humid climate that has cleaner air, then I’d probably want something that draws moisture from the air and allows the skin to breath better. Anyway that’s just what I believe from research done on moisturizers over the years.

Regarding the makeup remover towel mentioned, I think it looks like a pretty cool product. It might be a great answer for makeup removal and looks very promising. I just haven’t tried myself so I really don’t know. I do question how it works a bit though. I wonder if there’s anything that could be irritating to sensitive skin. If anyone gives it a try I’d love to hear about it.

Hope this helps Adi.

Reply To: aveeno cream
Your information: